Sunday, December 20, 2009

Diving in Deep

Diving in Deep
Title: Chasing Smoke
Author: K.A. Mitchell
Series: Prequel to Collision Course
Rating: 3/5 stars
Review:

Ever since he was a teenager, Noah Winthrop has had a crush on Cameron. Cameron Lewis is Noah's older brother's best friend. Cameron pushed Noah away when they were teenagers - insisting that Noah was too young. But when the two get together at Adam's wedding four years later, Cameron isn't able to push him away. The next morning, Noah wakes up and finds Cameron gone. The two don't meet up again until fifteen years later when Noah ends up in one of Cameron's safety classes. And just like the last time they met, sparks begin to fly.

It's been a while since I've rated a book three stars. To me, three stars isn't bad, it's average. I did enjoy reading the book, but I doubt I'll read it again. There were parts of the novel I liked and parts I didn't like, so it kind of balanced out. It was really hard to rate this three stars, I've loved all of Mitchell's other books, but this one just wasn't as strong as the others.

The grammar (spelling, punctuation, etc.) in the novel was good, I didn't spot any obvious mistakes that distracted from the novel, but the characters in this novel are kind of flat. You don't really get to see much of any of the side characters - Joey, Mark or Adam and they aren't really developed at all. Joey reads like a stereotypical gay boy. I imagine him speaking with a lisp and waving his hands around while he talks most of the time. Even the characterization of the main characters - Cameron and Noah - isn't too deep.

The next thing I didn't like was the plot. There really wasn't much plot beyond their relationship. I don't mind that, but I'd like to see them explore their relationship in more ways than just the bedroom. (And no, the scene on the coffee table doesn't count.) There were some really good scenes that I liked, but I would've liked to have seen more. I would've liked to have seen more of their trip to Hawaii and also more interaction with Noah's family.

Overall, I didn't hate this story. I did enjoy reading it, but like I said, it's pretty much a single read novel. If you're into gay romance novels (with sex scenes) it wouldn't hurt to check this book out. You may not fall in love with it, but you probably won't hate it either.

** Warning ** This novel contains sex scenes and may not be appropriate for readers under than age of 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment